Give to the Arc today

services




   Share this page.

 

 

Transportation Mission Statement
The Arc of Livingston-Wyoming’s transportation department is dedicated to increasing the individual potential of the people we serve. Our main objectives are to transport our passengers safely, and provide access to opportunities that will enrich their lives. We are members of a professional organization that takes pride in its high-level of performance serving the community.

Normal Working Hours
Monday-Friday
6:00 am - 5:00 pm

Phone Numbers
Transportation Staff:
(585) 658-2384

Bus Garage #1:
(585) 658-3870

Bus Garage #2:
(585) 658-3890

Vehicle Repairs/Maintenance
(585) 658-2384



About


The Arc of Livingston-Wyoming’s Transportation department has provided quality transit to agency consumers for more than 30 years. In 1979, the fleet consisted of six vehicles. Today, the department operates and maintains 96 of its own vehicles and maintains an additional 64 vehicles that are operated by various agency programs.

 

The initial mission of the department was to transport the agency's consumers into the Hilltop Industries workshop. Livingston and Wyoming counties are spread across almost 1,300 square miles and very few of the individuals served are able to drive or have their own method of transportation. The Transportation department is vital for the continued success of many of the agency’s programs.

In order to help fund the consumer transportation operation, the agency entered into a contract transportation business. This contract transportation operation has become an integral part of the department and the surrounding communities.

Today, The Arc of Livingston-Wyoming is the transportation provider for the Livingston County pre-school program, Livingston County Head Start, Livingston County Department of Social Services, and a primary provider for two Finger Lakes DDSO Day Habilitation sites (Doty and Silver Lake). In addition, the agency provides special needs transportation for 11 area school districts. Transportation services have become vital to many aspects of both Livingston and Wyoming counties. Transportation department vehicles travel 1.8 million miles and perform over 300,000 one way stops each year.

The Transportation department maintains all the agency vehicles. Each of the agency's 14 residential homes has 1-2 vehicles, the Supported Employment program operates 14 vehicles, and other departments have 1-2 vehicles, as well. The Transportation team performs virtually all maintenance, outside of major body and transmission work.

In 2012, Transportation began offering vehicle maintenance and repair services to Arc members, employees, and their families. The move allows agency supporters to save money while their vehicles are maintained to the high standards of the agency's fleet.

Transportation is one of the three largest programs in the agency, consisting of approximately 90 full-time, part-time and per diem employees. The team includes mechanics, dispatchers, safety professionals, and dozens of drivers. Drivers are extensively trained by a team of 19-A Certified Examiners/Trainers, Certified School Bus Driver Instructors, and Certified Defensive Driving Instructors.

More than 70 percent of the agency vehicles fall under New York State Department of Transportation inspection and maintenance criteria. This requires a service every 30 days. The remaining 30% of the vehicles are serviced every 90 days.